This is a dump of everything I've learned about running 64 bit ARM on QEMU.
- I get the feeling that VGA isn't really supported on the -M virt machine. Closest I've been able to get is using ramfb, but I still can't start X. I think it might be best to use a specific qemu device such as a raspi.
Alpine aarch64 best settings
\ -M virt \ -cpu cortex-a57 \ -smp 4 \ -m 4096M \ -device ramfb \ -bios /usr/share/edk2-armvirt/aarch64/QEMU_EFI.fd \ -device usb-ehci -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd \ -drive file=alpine.qcow2
- Overflow answer that helped me realize I needed a UEFI bios for aarch64
- Blog post that explained -serial and -nographic. Other useful things as well.
- Graphics explainer
- Details about different display options
- Explanation about lack of VGA on ARM.